Snacking is a great way to stay healthy and nutritious snacks are the way to go! Here are some tips to make the most out of snacking.
- Build your own snacks rather than buying them from a vending machine.
- Combination snacks like apples with peanut butter or low fat cheese and whole grain crackers keep you fuller longer
- Drink enough water because thirst can often be confused with hunger.
- Choose fat free or low fat yogurts and cheeses
- Use the Nutrition Facts Label to compare a serving size with what you are actually consuming.
- Eat snacks in between meals to avoid over eating at meals
- Cut fruits and vegetables immediately after you bring them home from the store or market. Store them in the refrigerator where they can easily be seen and used for on the go snacks
- Prepare low-fat and fat-free dips to eat with fruit and vegetables.
- Keep a fruit bowl out rather than a candy dish