Nutrition for Kids!
It’s important for children to grow up healthy and strong! Healthy meals and snacks start at home. Use these tips to ensure your kids are getting the right nutrients.
- Make half of the plate fruits and vegetables
- Add lean proteins such as fish, turkey, chicken and lean beef
- Include whole grains into meal times- looks for 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain on food labels
- Eat slowly- enjoy and savor each bite. Be mindful of what you are eating. Eating too fast may cause you to over eat
Is your child a picky eater? Try these creative twists on old favorites!
- Create a smoothie! –incorporate fruits and vegetables for a fun way to get your fruits and veggies in for the day
- Kids love dips! Try dipping fruit into low fat yogurt for a sweet treat or hummus for vegetables
- Use cookie cutters on sandwiches for fun shapes to eat
- Have the kids pick out dried fruits, nuts, pretzels, etc… to make their own trail mix for a healthy snack
Family Time in the Kitchen!
When we cook at home we are more likely to make healthier choices as opposed to eating out at restaurants. Take advantage of this time at home to get creative with meal times and make it a family event!
- Make it a goal to cook at home at least once or twice a week building up to cooking more often
- Plan a head! Create a weeks’ worth of meals together as a family
- Experiment with healthy recipes! Substitute sour cream for Greek yogurt, use low fat dressings instead of regular.
- Manage portions by only putting a little bit on your plate at a time. Keep serving bowls in the kitchen
Fun Recipes for Kids:
MyPlate has recipes for even the pickiest of eaters! Look for fun new meal ideas for the entire family!
For more information on nutrition for children and resources visit: