Communities Preventing Chronic Diseases
Lorain County Public Health (LCPH) is working to address preventable chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and stroke as part of the Communities Preventing Chronic Disease (CPCD) program. CPCD funding is provided through the Ohio Department of Health from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
To prevent obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke by establishing policies, systems, and environments that:
- Increase access to physical activity and healthy foods
- Improve access to high-quality, team-based care utilizing electronic health data and quality improvement strategies
- Integrate healthcare data and public health surveillance data
- Expand access to diabetes prevention and hypertension community programming
Happening in Lorain County:
Through partnerships with many community organizations, LCPH is working to make the healthy choice, the easy choice.
Here are ways we’re taking action across the county:
- Working with corner stores, grocery retailers, food pantries, worksites, and schools to increase access to healthier food and beverage options.
- Increasing access to free public fitness opportunities through United We Sweat, walking groups, shared use of public buildings, walking trails, and fitness stations in community locations.
- Supporting active living by changing the environment of transportation through city Complete Streets, Safe Routes to School, and biking/pedestrian initiatives.
- Decreasing diabetes risk throughout the county by expanding the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program through community-based classes.
- Educating county residents on the risk factors of prediabetes and educating worksites about the importance of Diabetes Prevention Program benefit coverage.
- Working with healthcare providers on diagnosing and referring individuals with prediabetes to a YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program.
- Linking health care providers and patients with community resources/programs to support healthy lifestyles.
- Expanding Medication Therapy Management practices in pharmacies throughout Lorain County to improve outcomes in patients.
- Training Community Health Workers in chronic disease prevention to strengthen relationships, establish care coordination, and to refer into existing community resources.
- Establishing systems for accurate self-managed blood pressure and bi-directional referral systems.
For more information:
Lorain County Public Health
9880 South Murray Ridge Road
Elyria, Ohio 44035