Low-cost blood draw for adults 55+
Posted on: August 16, 2018
This September across Lorain County, residents can get their blood drawn at a low cost and learn their cholesterol, blood glucose, complete blood count, and other health indicators. Public health nurses from Lorain County Public Health (LCPH) will answer questions and provide information during blood draw sessions at community locations throughout Lorain County. All Lorain County adults ages 55 and older are invited.
“Knowledge is power, which is why knowing your health numbers is an important way to check on your health with an annual blood test,” said David Covell, RS, MPH, health commissioner at LCPH. “Blood test results can help you make a plan to prevent or manage chronic diseases.”
How to participate:
- Call 440-567-4120 to make a reservation.
- Do not eat or drink anything except water for 12 hours before your reservation.
- Drink 2 cups of water right before the test.
- Bring cash or check: $31 for the blood test (CBC, CMP, fasting glucose, lipids), plus $10 for a prostate test (men only).
Make a blood draw reservation at one of the following locations. Blood drawing is done between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.:
- Amherst – Tuesday, Sept. 4: Old Stone United Methodist Church, 553 S. Main St.
- Lorain – Thursday, Sept. 6: Lorain Senior Center, 3361 Garfield Blvd.
- Avon – Friday, Sept. 14: Avon Senior Center, 36784 Detroit Rd.
- Wellington – Thursday, Sept. 20: Wellington Fire Station, 202 Kelly St.
- Grafton – Tuesday, Sept. 25: North Eaton Christian Church, 35895 Royalton Rd.
As with other public health services, there is no office visit fee. Clients may schedule a follow-up appointment to receive results and ask questions, either in person or via a phone call.