Why Water First for Thirst?
• Americans consume almost 50 gallons of sugary drinks a year – that equals 38 pounds of sugar!
• More than 38% of toddlers (age 21-24 months) consumed sugar sweetened beverages at least
one time a day in the U.S.
• Every serving of sugary drinks a child consumes increases his or her chances of becoming
overweight or obese by about 60%.
• For adults, consuming 1 or more sugary drinks each day increases the risk of developing type 2
diabetes by about 25%.
• In 2009-2010, about 40% of Ohio’s 3rd graders were consuming 2 or more sugary drinks a day.
Water First for Thirst Concept Developed by Columbus Public Health.